Friday, August 17, 2012

Salman Khan: Bhai please thoda sa gaur farmaiye


by Piyush Dewan from Nacchgaana
I enjoyed Ek Tha Tiger. I am enjoying the fact that it may do great business and break records. I liked the effort and thought behind the movie- also the finesse and the restrained humor. Of screen I enjoyed Salman’s promotional interviews and his trips to TV (Jhalak Dikhlaaja might be epic too). But But But… I am not very happy.
I think Salman Khan is the best actor in India today. Yes actor. I have seen almost all his films and all the moments he creates on screen- his samajh, his pakad, his inventiveness, his confidence, his presence- all of it is unparalleled. But very few people are going to agree with me on this. Very few will agree with me objectively- mann se kaafi fans maan lenge yeh baat.
There are a few things that Salman said recently that I didn’t like at all-
1. I will do only action films
2. I don’t know which film to do next
3. It is sad that no film has broken 3 Idiots record in the last 3 years
4. Business is growing- screens are being added- collections are becoming more transparent
5. It is all black and white for me- emotion chalta hai ya nahin chalta hai. It is either good or bad.
6. I will always be larger than life- this is how I am.
Salman is stuck in a comfort zone now. And now that he has achieved a Demi-God Bhai status everywhere- in the industry too- his friends will not even try to break that comfort zone.
The other day I was watching Guide. I always wanted Salman to do a film like it. Dev Anand was hardly an actor but he still did it. Salman is far better in my opinion- but he won’t touch a story like Guide. I want him to do a film like Kabhie Kabhie. I want him to do a film like Anand. I want him to do a film like Mausam (old one), a film like Shakti, a film like Namkeen too. A film like Masoom he has already done- Jab Pyaar Kisi se Hota hai- and it is one of my fav Salman films
But he is now stuck in that high stakes business game where he will only do films that larger than life. I understand all his points about how he needs to please his fans. But bhai I am also your fan. 2 saal mein ek baar try to maaro. After this current streak of 5 solo blockbusters he is in a state to dictate, in a state to command. Ek aisi film bana do jo Anurag Kashyap so bata de ki honest aur acchi stories kya hoti hain. Ek aisi film jo Gulzar ko apne din yaad dila de. Ek aisi film jo yeh Alternate Cinema ke champions bane jo phirte hain un hein realize kara dein ki woh chutiye hain aur kuch nahin. Ek aisi film kar do bhai.
Yes do Dabangg, do Ek Tha Tiger- maybe also do a No Entry or a Kick. No worries. I enjoy them too. But saal mein ek chhoti se film so sirf ek kahaani ho- aur kuch nahin- with no worries about the box office- no worries about how fans would react- I want even the Anupama Chopra’s to take you seriously (and not treat you just as an experience). SHe is not worth it I know- but still… Once in a while do a film jis mein shor machane ka mann na kare. Cheekhne ka mann na kare. Seeti Bajane ka khayal bhi na aaye dimaag mein.

No comments:

Post a Comment