Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Predictions: BodyGuard final collections and the real superstar Salman Khan

I am no BO expert but I have been a keen observer of BO for many years.
The reason for writing this article is because all the trade and so-called BO experts are underestimating the final collections of this movie even now when it had broken all conceivable records in its first few days.
One mistake we often make is to confuse the BO collections with the WOM around us.
I know the WOM from people around me is not good at all. Even some hardcore Sallu fans have not liked it.
But, the fact is the movie is sustaining wonderfully well in the weekdays and there is no alarming fall even after such a huge weekend.Monday was 8.5 Cr + and even Tuesday, has very minimal drops and look set to clock around 8 Cr. First week total will be around 115 Cr. From there, the movie has very good chance to reach 175 Cr and 160 Cr is the minimum. Another ALL TIME BLOCKBUSTER for Salman. Couple of years back, the 202 Cr total of 3 Idiots looked insurmountable in the near future but it does not seem so any more. BG will not break 3 Idiots’ record but it will get close and I will not be surprised if it surpasses my prediction of 175 Cr
Some phenomena are inexplicable – Sallu is a phenomenon toady, people just love him, does not matter if the movie is great or no. So,let us leave it at that. I was not a witness to the rage BigB was in his prime days (though I have seen the craze for some of his horrible movies in the late 80′a nd early 90′s). But, I have not seen the craze Sallu is able to generate. As long as his movies project him in a way people want to see him, those will mint money. Shobha De wrote an article in the Sunday times comparing Sallu to Anna in terms of the love they get from people. And I can bet my ass that NO other hero would have been able to pull of a movie like BG and make it such a huge blockbuster.
Though I believe the market has expanded (otherwise films like ZNMD and Singham would not have collected close to 90 and 100 crores), we can’t take anything away from Salman.
Aamir may have done lot of quality films, SRK might have enacted various different roles etc etc but tell me who has made average movies into such huge blockbusters ..and that’s what star power is all about.
Hats off to Salman – take a bow!You are definitely the real superstar of the current era.

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful article … and Thanks for this article …
    Agree with everhthg that you have written.
    Ppl say BigB was a phenomenon, even films with him in spl appearance used to open to packed houses.
    Well I have not seen that era. Maybe yes he was HYSTERIA.

    But currently I think Salman is an hurricane and if he chooses movies carefully with tighter scripts no BO record in India or Overseas will remain untouched.
    BG success in overseas is what has surprised me. I thought it will have collections like Ready or Max Dabangg. But overses it has collected almst equal to Dabangg in first weekend itself.
    Well thats what is called as good WOM …. not abt BG but abt Sallu.
    He has become such a huge BO force in India that even Indians and other BW movie buffs living overseas are getting attracted towards him.
    —-
    Curiosity: Ra1, Don2, Agnepath and Dhuan all will release in next 6 months. So I am very much curious how these will movies open at BO.
    21.5cr day 1 is opening day(or first Sunday) target for these movies.
    This will bring in clearity if its ONLY Sallu mania or market expansion or both?

    ReplyDelete