Saturday, September 10, 2011

I will never kiss a Girl on screen

Salman Khan is recuperating in New Jersey, USA, after a complicated surgery to ease a nerve disorder called Trigeminal Neuralgia, which had been causing him excruciating pain for a year. He spoke on the phone about the enormous success ofBodyguard and capping a hattrick of blockbusters.
Q. So how does it feel?
You can't go mad about these things. It's the festive season. The past three films have done well. The business has grown. Aabadi badti ja rahi hai (the population is growing), even if I'm not contributing to it. There's a baby born every 30 seconds or something, right? But seriously I feel happy that a film I selected is something people liked. I hope that never goes wrong.
Q.What's the secret of your success?
I no longer do a film for the wrong reasons. I have to be convinced ethically and morally. Both the director and I have to be on the same page. There are just five songs in most films these days and they have to be amazing. There has to be a twist in the screenplay. The editing has to be crisp. Your hard work should show, but effortlessly. It has to be a subject people relate to. You have to approach the film like a member of the audience. When it's being narrated to you, you should enjoy it.
Q.What are the things you will never do in a movie?
Never kiss the girl on screen. I feel awkward. First, remember, it's primarily a family audience. And second, I learnt this a long time ago, every man's wife or girlfriend is for himself. He doesn't want to share her.
WORD POWER
His dialogues are easy to spout and difficult to forget
Wanted, 2009
Jab main ek bar commitment de deta hoon to uske baad khud ki bhi nahi sunta. Main sharaab aur khoon apni marzi se peeta hoon, dabake.
Dabangg, 2010
Hum tumme itne chhed karenge ke confuse ho jaoge ke saans kahan se le aur paade kahan se. Main aage aur peeche dono dekh sakta hoon.
Ready, June 2011Zindagi main teen cheez kabhi underestimate nahin karna: I, me and myself. Main modern zamane ka kutta hoon... wooow wooow wooow.
Bodyguard, August 2011Mujhpe ek ehsaan karna ki mujhpe koi ehsaan na karna. Main maarta kam hoon aur ghaseetta zyada hoon.
Q.Why is it so important to have a shirtless scene?
I think the whole point is when people see it they think if this guy can take his shirt off, so can we. But you have to prepare yourself mentally. I had just 15 days to work on my body for the climactic fight of Bodyguard. And I would work on every muscle of my body two/three times a week. I would have developed a superb body if I had three months, but squeezing it into 15 days can be harmful. Also, as you grow older, your metabolic rate slows down.
Q.You seem to have become far more serious about your work now.
You have to be. Ticket prices have increased. Your fans expect something. You can't let them down.
Q.And you're more involved?
Yes, I do think of some of the lines and jokes. I enjoy the process of composing music. The first time I hear a song, it has to bring a smile to my lips. You have to tap your feet and be able to sing the song.
(Salman Khan's interview with India Today is part of the Cover Story from September 19, 2011 issue)

No comments:

Post a Comment