Saturday, August 6, 2011

Salim Khan: Getting involved with Salman serves an actress’ needs too

Salim Khan gets candid about his split with Javed Akhtar, his non-equation with Amitabh Bachchan and why son Salman Khan has yet to hook a bride. Filmfare is awed by his rhetoric

Today, GenX may recognise him as Salman Khan’s father. But for all those who have grown up on cult movies like Sholay, Andaz, Seeta Aur Geeta, Zanjeer, Deewaar and Majboor, the influence of screenwriters Salim-Javed (Akhtar) during the ’70s remains unmistakable. 

Despite your various social commitments in Panvel it’s surprising you agreed instantly to this interview.
People give themselves a lot of importance. I wouldn’t like to lie unnecessarily. In life, you have to lie only under two extreme circumstances – one when you’re having an affair after marriage and the other when you’re trying to dupe the income tax authorities. 

How effectively were you able to lie in both these situations?   
I had to lie when I got involved with Helen (actor and second wife). But when you get caught, you’ve no option. I’ve luckily managed to live in harmony with both my wives. 

Your family is known to be multi-cultural and secular…
Where I was born and brought up, in Indore, there were no Muslim families in the farthest vicinity. My friends, neighbours and tenants (we owned some property) were all Hindus. I’ve never had any issues about mixing with other communities. This building where we live has a cosmopolitan culture. 
 
Of your five children, who was the naughtiest?
Salman (Khan) was the naughtiest. There were some problems with him even in childhood but he was what people call in the movies ‘a good-hearted scoundrel’.

Writer Javed Akhtar came in from Bhopal and you from Indore. Was hailing from Madhya Pradesh that brought you together?
Javed did not come to Mumbai to become a writer. He came here to become a director. While I was acting in a film called Sarhadi Lootera, I discovered he had a flair for writing. If he got into writing it was because of me. Then we worked together for a long time and the results are there for all to see.

When your partnership with him broke up, you were dubbed as just ‘the manager of the team’. Did it hurt?
That partnership was formed by me. I had worked hard for it to be successful. So if something good comes to an end, it naturally hurts. More so the way it broke... there was no argument, no fight. Nor did it happen on the spur of the moment. There was a definite planning to it.
People were a little unfair in saying ‘kaam toh woh (Akhtar) karte the (he was the one who worked)’ when we parted. After the split when I wrote my first solo film Naam, the same people who said that I was a mere manager came back to me.

Did Mahesh Bhatt’s Naam then redeem you?
Naam was a turning point in my life because I had to prove to myself too that I could do it. God forbid if that film had flopped then nobody would have given me a second chance. I give Mahesh Bhatt credit that he came to me during those days. 

What is your equation with Amitabh Bachchan today?
I’ve no relations with Amitabh Bachchan today and I’m not the one responsible for it. Similarly, though our partnership is over, I hold no ill feeling for Javed. 

Do your children take your advice today?
Yes they come to me although they may think they are smarter than me. They may have more knowledge on certain issues but they cannot take away my experience from me.

Are you a better father than a husband?
Nobody has any complaints with me. That itself is big thing. My children seek my company. I’m friendly with my children yet they do not take any liberties with me. Our interaction and time together or even the jokes that they crack are all done within the decorum of paternal respect. 

Do you think Salman will prove to be a good father like you?
(Laughs) I don’t know. People do change. I think that’s the reason he is not getting married. He probably thinks ‘I’m not ready to be a good father or a good husband’. 

What kind of girl would prove to be a good wife for Salman?
Salman leads his own life. Who the hell am I to decide what kind of girl he should get married to? He knows best who would suit him. It has to be his choice and we’ll go with it. 

In an earlier interview you had stated that an actress wouldn’t suit him as a wife...
No, an actress could become his wife but only after she has achieved her acting ambitions. She’s not harbouring a desire to meet up with Salman, become friends with him, get married and rear children. It’s okay if they get involved with him because it serves their needs too. 

How would you assess Salman as an actor and a person? 
It’s a no-win situation for a father to speak about his son who’s a popular actor. Salman has many good qualities. My biggest grouse with him is that though he’s very talented he has never fully exploited his skill for various reasons. As a person, Salman is not scheming or conniving. He cannot plot or plan against anyone, as people do. 

Do you recall the tapes that were printed in the inaugural edition of the Hindustan Times in Mumbai?
It wasn’t in the interest of the Tatas, Birlas or the Mittals to leak them out. It wouldn’t have benefitted any builder either. It could have only befitted some other actor. It's general knowledge how those tapes were released. If such tapes of another actor were to fall into our hands, we’d never have resorted to such an act. 

http://www.filmfare.com/articles/salim-khan-getting-involved-with-salman-serves-an-actress-needs-too-2598.html 

No comments:

Post a Comment