Friday, October 1, 2010

Final call's mine says Sajid Nadiadwala

Producer Sajid Nadiadwala's Anjaana Anjaani starring Ranbir Kapoor and Priyanka Chopra releases this week. Here, he talks about his actors, his best buddy Salman Khan and future plans.

You've signed Shirish Kunder for your production Kick starring Salman Khan and Sonakshi. Comment.
Yes. I have been planning Kick for a year without a director. First, I signed Salman, then the script fell into place. And then, I signed Sonakshi. We needed a guy with a vision to take the script forward. Salman and I mutually came to the conclusion that we should get Shirish Kunder on board as we both loved Jaan-E-Mann.

After problems with Shirish during Jaan-E-Mann, you'd sworn never to work with him again.
I never said that. We had problems -- like Salman's passport issues, the sets had to be erected and dismantled twice and some other stuff as well but we never once had an argument or raised voices at each other. A scenario was created, where we were both made to believe that there was a problem. And because I like his work, I am working with Shirish again.

Your on-off equation with Farah Khan is confusing. She was your rakhi sister till you had a cold war but this year she tied you a rakhi again. What's the exact status?
I have known Farah for the last 16 years and she's family. We accept and love her the way she is. The size of Farah's rakhi and quality of peda she gives depends on the relationship we have between us every year. This year, the rakhi was superb while the pedas were delicious and expensive so I guess she's fine with me!

Did Salman recommend that you sign Sonakshi?
Yes. From our first film together (Jeet) to our last film together Salman has always recommended actors, technicians, writers and actresses for all my films. He treats it like his own home production and tells me who to take. Salman insists, but the final call is mine. I had seen the rushes of Dabangg six months ago and endorsed his suggestion of signing Sonakshi. I don't always listen to him though, as growth doesn't always come with agreements.

Was Salman upset and refused to give dates for your next film because Jaan-E-Mann hadn't done well?
Salman can never be upset with me or vice versa. He's my jaan... After Jaan-E-Mann, he got busy with his other films like Yuvraaj, Veer and Partner. He wanted to complete Jaan-E-Mann and then start his other films. He takes 100 days to shoot a film, complete it and then move on to another film so for seven films he'd take 700 days and that's why it took us almost three years to start Kick.

People feel Akshay has replaced Salman in your 'best buddy' space today as you have done more films with AK.
Nobody can replace Salman in my 'best buddy' space or anywhere else; nobody will try. He never hears my script or discusses his price. I know it's sounds flowery to talk like this after Dabangg but Salman and I have been through many ups and downs in the 16 years I've known him. Today, our association goes beyond work. I did three films with Akshay because at that time, Salman was working with other producers. Besides, Akshay's a schoolmate. I'm fond of him too.

You had quite a few actress girlfriends before shaadi. But no link-ups after. Are you discreet or uninterested?
I've been married 10 years now and haven't once felt the need to stray. Maybe it's because I have seen and done it all before marrying Wardha. I've enjoyed life before marriage and had a few relation- ships too with the intention of settling down.

Not attracted to any actress?
No. I've been through that phase in the past. Also, Wardha's a new woman everyday -- she keeps re-inventing herself. I can never get bored of her. When I can get all from one woman at home why should I look outside? She's all I want in a woman and more.

Wardha wants to direct a film. Will you launch it under your own banner?
Never! When I come back home stressed from work, the only person who can calm me is Wardha. She keeps me anchored. If the one person who stabilises me joins the fraternity, my personal space is gone. Who will I turn to when I am stressed and cranky? She energises me when I come home; if that goes away, toh main gaya kaam se!

Wardha's brother Mohsin Khan wants to debut as an actor. Will you launch him?
Yes, why not? She has spoken to me about it and I think Mohsin has been meeting people. If I have a good project where I feel he suits the requirements I don't mind launching him.

Do you still remember Divya Bharati? Apparently you still love her and remain in touch with her family...
Yes, I still remember Divya and she's a part of my family and I keep in touch with hers. Whenever her family has a problem, her dad comes to me. He told me once, 'I have lost a daughter but gained a son' and that statement haunts me even now.... Thanks to Wardha, she's accepted and loved as family. Subhaan sees her pictures and calls her badi ammi.

What about Tabu?
We're good buddies. That's all. There's no romantic bond.

Your next projects are with Hrithik Roshan, Shahid Kapoor and Saif Ali Khan.
I haven't signed Hrithik as yet. Imtiaz Ali is yet to decide when he plans on starting. Saif is doing an interesting romantic drama with Siddharth Anand. Shahid is doing Saabir Khan's Heer Ranjha. Once Saabir completes the script, we'll start casting the actress for Heer's role. Neither Katrina nor Priyanka has been approached.

Anjaana Anjaana releases this week. Who is your favourite -- Ranbir or Priyanka and why?
Though I am very fond of Priyanka as I launched her in Mujhse Shaadi Karogi, I have a soft spot for Ranbir. I had worked with his dad (I was an assistant director on the sets of Chintusaab's Hathyaar). Ranbir is one of the most disciplined, well-behaved actors I've worked with. He's very respectful to his seniors. He has worked from 5 am to midnight at -20 C temperature without a murmur. Being a star kid, he could've been obnoxious but he's grounded.

Is Anjaana Anjaani based on French film Girl On A Bridge?
I don't think so. I saw the film recently. It's in black-and- white and was made 60 years ago. Siddharth's wife Mamta penned the story while novelist Advaita Kale wrote the screenplay. I don't think she'd have been part of it if it were a remake. What I loved about Anjaana Anjaani was that it's about the victory of life and ends positively. You leave the theatre living each day as your last. It's different from my usual films and it was bold on my part to produce it.

Why have you never worked with Katrina Kaif or Aishwarya Rai Bachchan? The buzz was it was because you don't like working with your best buddy Salman's girlfriends?
Any answer on this topic will be an encroachment on their personal space.

Why have you never worked with Shah Rukh Khan? Is it because of your close friendship with Salman?
I'd love to work with Shah Rukh and Aamir. Which producer wouldn't? I first met SRK on the sets of Divya's Deewana when I'd drop in to meet her. He's done guest appearances in two of my productions -- Heyy Babyy! and Har Dil Jo Pyar Karega. Eventually, he started doing films with Karan Johar while I made films with Salman. It wasn't as if we stopped working after the SRK-Salman fight. And let me tell you, whatever anyone says -- there may be differences between them, but SRK and Salman love each other!

4 comments:

  1. Radhey,why don't u write posts on NG,if u r facing any problem,ask Ritz

    ReplyDelete
  2. @dishant..bhai bahut try kiya par mujhe abhi tak ye nahi malum hua ki NG par post kaise karte hai..Agar help kar sako to plz batawo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ask Pseudo or RKB(Owner of NG).You can mail him but i don't know his e-mail address so u can ask from someone else

    ReplyDelete
  4. @dishant..thanks for info..i will try..

    ReplyDelete